Thursday, December 08, 2005

Blogger

Today I tried leaving a comment at Yahoo's search blog. I filled out the info fields, entering the address of this blog in the weblog field (http://web201.blogspot.com) and hit post. I was quite surprised to be greeted by the following screen:


If you look at the line of text starting with "Your comment could not be submitted..." you'll notice that Yahoo is objecting to the fact that my blog is hosted at blogspot.com and I'm told to correct the error and repost. I suppose I could transfer my blog to another company's weblob servers to satisfy Yahoo's request and to have my comment posted there, but I opted against this.

What are the alternatives? Yahoo's Search Blog could institute a slightly more demanding authentication scheme. Currently, a commenter is asked to type the word "Yahoo" in an input field. And they wonder why they're getting spam? How about a captcha or something?

Another alternative is to use Yahoo Mail's spam filtering tools. Anything's better than blacklisting an entire domain!

When these kinds of things happen, I just get depressed about the Internet and technology in general. Can't someone spend a little bit more time thinking things through?

(I ended up posting, but entered my website instead of my blog address instead.)

No comments: